The Financial Reporting and Management Institute (FIRM) is a public-private initiative that aims to enhance the ability of local nonprofits to serve the community by strengthening their financial management and leadership. FIRM is currently being offered at no cost to nonprofits serving residents of Montgomery County by Nonprofit Montgomery, in collaboration with the Community Foundation for Montgomery County, Montgomery County government, and the Healthcare Initiative Foundation.
How FIRM Works:
FIRM is an intensive 2-day workshop for nonprofit Executive Directors, Finance Staff, and Board members. The curriculum includes:
- Promoting staff and Board fiscal leadership – how to work together to insure effective oversight and a healthy partnership.
- Instituting a financial planning process that includes staff and Board.
- Developing and using budgets that reflect the strategic plan and mission.
- Learning how to use financial statements and reports as strategic management tools.
- Creating a specific work plan to implement better financial administration procedures.
- Improving compliance with County contracts and foundation grants.
- Finding and hiring financial and accounting expertise.
Workshops are taught by our well-respected financial educators who have developed the program's unique curriculum. County personnel also teach a session on compliance and accountability for county contracts and funds.
Following each workshop, participants engage in a series of follow-up sessions that provide hands-on assistance in implementing improved financial reporting and management strategies and procedures.
Click here to view a list of the 2011-2012 FIRM participating organizations.
The Roundtable Connector is a directory of recommended financial service providers (accountants, fund managers, bankers, auditors, etc.) and information on how to hire, vet and manage outsourced financial and accounting services.
How to Participate: