What is FIRM?
FIRM is a public-private initiative that aims to enhance the ability of local nonprofits to serve the community by strengthening their financial management and leadership through a 2-day intensive workshop with follow-up support and tutorials.
Workshops are taught by our well-respected financial educators who have developed the program's unique curriculum. County personnel also teach a session on compliance and accountability for county contracts and funds.
FIRM is in collaboration with the Community Foundation for Montgomery County, Montgomery County government, and The Mead Family Foundation.
The curriculum includes:
- Promoting staff and Board fiscal leadership – how to work together to insure effective oversight, financial sustainability and a healthy partnership.
- Instituting a financial planning process that includes staff and Board.
- Developing and using budgets that reflect the strategic plan and mission.
- Learning how to use financial statements and reports as strategic management tools.
- Creating a specific work plan to implement better financial administration procedures.
- Improving compliance with County contracts and foundation grants.
- Finding and hiring financial and accounting expertise.
Following each workshop, participants engage in a series of follow-up tutorials that provide hands-on assistance in implementing improved financial reporting and management strategies and procedures.
Click here to view organizations that have participated in FIRM
- FIRM is offered at NO COST by Nonprofit Roundtable
- Intended participants are nonprofit executive directors, finance staff and board members
FIRM is offered in 2013-14 to organizations that serve residents of Montgomery County.
- FIRM will be offered twice in 2013-14, with two cohorts
--November 6th & 7th, 2013 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM - *Cohort is full* ADD YOUR NAME TO THE WAITLIST HERE
--February 19th & 20th, 2014 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM - *Cohort is full* ADD YOUR NAME TO THE WAITLIST HERE
The Roundtable Connector is a directory of recommended financial service providers (accountants, fund managers, bankers, auditors, etc.) and information on how to hire, vet and manage outsourced financial and accounting services.